i've lost 50 pounds



Yep. I really have. I'm just (finally) putting it out there. In black and white, for all the world to see. You would think that this is something I'd be screaming from the rooftops, but I'm kinda blog-shy when it comes to weight and all that. I think it's funny how girls are silly about weight. It's a touchy subject. Even the skinniest of girls have body 'issues'. But this is about me. A girl far from skinny, and totally content with that fact.
So, how'd I do it? Well, to know how I got here, you gotta go back to the beginning....

Way back when... at the beginning of 2010 I made the decision to 'lose some weight' and 'get fit' for my upcoming 30th birthday that August (2010). I did all the right things. I got in with a local nutritionist, and got a personal trainer at the local gym. I'd set small goals, and one by one, I'd attain them. By the time my birthday was here, I was down to a reasonable weight, but more importantly, I felt good.

Then, of course the worst day of my entire life occured, and I gained 30 of the 45 pounds lost, and to be quite honest, there was a large period of time that I can not remember. Therefore, I have no clue what I was eating or drinking, although I do remember boxes (literally) of chocolate, and lots of Del Taco burritos (Daddy's favorite), and perhaps some vodka spiked crystal light (just keepin' it real, folks).

As the new year began, I came to the decision that I had to pick myself up out of the black hole known as grief. I knew that Daddy wouldn't want me to mope around, so I made the decision to turn it around. I took my sadness of missing my Dad into my drive to make him proud. I re-dedicated myself to living healthy, getting fit, and eating clean. But something was different for me this go-round. I didn't have a goal set, a date to meet. Instead, I just wanted to focus on learning as much as I can about clean foods and exercising the mind and body. Pretty soon, it all clicked!



I am no longer rushing to a finish line. I'm changing my life. I'm choosing to live healthy every day, not just for the next (X) amount of days before I reach my goal weight of (Y). By choosing to eat clean and stay fit and healthy, the weight has just come off. Sometimes very noticeable, other times not so noticeable, but always healthy.
Now, please don't misunderstand. I still have goals. I think setting goals is an incredibly important step in any journey, be it weight loss or otherwise. My goals are specific and attainable, and always challenging. In fact, I just read a wonderful blog written by Tabitha over at Recipe For Fitness about Goal Setting. (Read it... totally inspiring!) 

This change didn't happen overnight, it has taken baby steps to get to where I am now. I'll share more in future posts. It is not my intention to make this a weight loss blog. This is a personal blog. I have blogged about my life, and right now, changing my lifestyle from "typical-working-mom-picking-up-fast-food-and-crashing-early-from-stress-and-exhaustion-due-to-lack-of-nutritious-foods" to "working-mom-who-loves-her-family-and-herself-so-much-that-she-chooses-to-prepare-clean-and-healthy-meals-giving-her-the-energy-to-exercise-her-mind-and-body". 

Lastly, I have to give credit where credit is due. My success is always made easier with the love and support of my family and friends. Without them, this journey would not be nearly as informative or fun as it has been. Because of them, I have had to courage and the strength to make daily decisions to better myself mentally and physically. So, thank you.

And thank you, oh dear blog reader, for making it to the end of this long but personal blog post. Now that this is 'out on the table' I would anticipate more blog posts regarding my new but permanent lifestyle! :-)

7 comments

Unknown said...

you look great!

Gina said...

Oh Jen, what an accomplishment and what an inpsiration you are! You look wonderful & you should be proud.

Unknown said...

DANG girl! You look amazing! I am so so proud of you and I love that you're sharing this on your blog. Would love to hear more because this is in my near future too. <3 You're amazing!

Reed said...

Congrats on your accomplishment and more so the ability to break bad habits and replace them with good ones! You are an inspiration!
xo~Kadi

Tiffany said...

Oh my god~ you are AMAZING!!!
I think you look amazing in the before picture because you are a beautiful person no matter what but in the more recent picture you look truly happy and that is such an accomplishment in itself with all that you have been through~ you are such an inspiration in sooooooo many ways! Thinking of you! Thank you for sharing! It really helps ~I was doing pretty good before the set back with my hand and needed a reminder to get back on track! Congrats! You look awesome! :)

Anonymous said...

You are amazing. And wonderful! You look great!

miss teacups said...

good for you!! my goodness, i'm sure that wasn't easy!! you look fantastic.

© something Big is coming...
Maira Gall