crossfit: week 1

Friday. August 31, 2012.
10:58am

Monday's workout was tough, but super fun.

Tuesday's workout was even tougher, but fun and exciting to be learning lifts.

Wednesday I had a much needed massage and I am not in Scottsdale on Thursdays so this gave me two whole days to recover from Monday and Tuesday's workouts.

I needed the time. My body needed the time. And to be completely honest, on Wednesday night I didn't think I was gonna be able to make it on Friday. My calves felt like overfilled water balloons stretched on a thinning rubber band and ready to explode any minute. My quads and glutes were crying and protesting... you can tell it's been a little while since they've been worked hard. Core and arms were a bit sore but it was that glorious soreness where you worked hard enough to be reminded but not unable to move. Above all, by far the worse pain was in the arches of my feet. I very much wanted to lay in bed and cry Wednesday night because I felt as though I lost the use of my feet. Flat footed, toes pointed... didn't matter. My feet were radiating in pain. I had them rubbed (and good) which did help to try and loosen them up a bit. We use our feet for absolutely everything, and when you don't want to use them, you can't. It's frustrating. I'm not sure if it is because of the Merrell shoes I wear (which have minimal cushioning) or from the jumping on my toes, but my insteps huuuuuuuuuurt!

Today is Friday, and I feel ten times better than I did on Wednesday, that's for sure. My calves are still sore, as are my feet. And my shins are starting to give me problems (that could have been from me racing my daughter to the car last night, from across the parking lot... in Converse shoes... and No compression socks, which I desperately need when I run). But... I AM going to class today at 3pm. It was my personal goal for week one to come to 3 classes, by myself without the hubs. I will accomplish that goal.

The workout today is comforting in the fact that you get to choose your method but in no way will it be easy.
Here is the workout:
WOD: For Time
Weight- Your Choice!
Level 1: In any combination- Stone Shoulder, Sand bag Clean, Log Clean 3,000 (men) /2,000lbs. (women)
Level 2: In any combination- Stone Shoulder, Sand bag Clean, Log Clean 4,000/3,000lbs.
Level 3: In any combination- Stone Shoulder, Sand bag Clean, Log Clean 5,000/4,000lbs.
Level 4: In any combination- Stone Shoulder, Sand bag Clean, Log Clean 6,000/5,000lbs.
Metabolic Conditioning- Yup, Your Choice Again!
Level 1: In any combination of distance- 1,600m.
Level 2: In any combination of distance- 2,000m.
Level 3: In any combination of distance- 2,400m.
Level 4: In any combination of distance- 3,200m.

By the way... I'm a level 1, duh! hehe
I'm excited for the workout. I know I'll work, I know that I will get out what I put it. I know that it is me against the workout, and me against myself. This is the crossfit way. I'll be back later to update on the workout and my feelings / progress. 
Until then...

2 comments

Gina said...

Congrats Jen! I would never have anything bad to say...you should be proud of yourself!

Mrs. Biscuit said...

Jen!!!! I just read the last few crossfit posts you wrote, and I'm speechless! Wow lady, those workouts sound brutal and yet your tone is so hopeful and chipper! It almost sounds... dare I say it; fun?

I've never been to crossfit, and I'm definitely someone who's too shy to do something like that until I know what to expect. So, reading your posts helped me feel like I was there too! Thanks Jen, and congrats on getting fit!

<3 <3 <3
Mr.Biscuit

© something Big is coming...
Maira Gall