Spaghetti Squash with Turkey Meatballs

Hi all! I'm back with another quasi-recipe. I am adapting my recipe from Shutterbean. Ready. Lets go...

This... is a spaghetti squash. It's big and intimidating. But cut that sucker open lengthwise, scoop out the innards, sprinkle some evoo (extra virgin olive oil) and s&p (sea salt and fresh ground pepper) and roast that bad boy!
Then show it whos boss... take that fork and scrape it, scrape it good!
Make-a zee meat-a-bolls!

Top with sauce and serve!

Spaghetti Squash with Turkey Meatballs
-- Large Spaghetti Squash
-- 2 tbsp EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
-- S&P (sea salt and fresh ground pepper) to taste
-- 1 pound ground turkey 
-- 2 garlic cloves, minced
-- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
-- 2 tsp oregano
-- 1/4 cup oatmeal
-- marinara sauce (made mine homemade)

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2.  Cut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the yuck (seeds and brains) and rub it down with 1/2 tbsp evoo per side. Throw a teensy bit S&P to taste.
3.  Bake squash in oven for approx 45 minutes until soft. Let cool before you handle.
4.  Take a fork and start shreddin! Collect the 'spaghetti' in a strainer to let the excess water drain.
5.  Meanwhile, mix ground turkey, onion, oregano, oatmeal, and some more S&P and roll up into balls.
6.  Heat 1 tbsp evoo in pan and add garlic. Place meatballs in oil, and cook thoroughly. Brown side to side, up and down, left and right, back and forth... you get it.
7.  Heat sauce in saucepan. Assemble spaghetti, then meatballs, then top with sauce. Enjoy!

Notes:
*I definitely wish I would have followed Shutterbean's recipe where she cooked the onions and garlic first, then added them to the meatballs. The onion was not as tender as I would have liked. But ya live and learn, right? Next time.
*The meatball cooking is triiiiicky! Let me tell ya! But for a first timer, they were not that bad. Cooked thoroughly, I was pleased as punch with that!
*I used (homemade) marinara red sauce because that is what I had on hand. It worked just fine, but I felt it kinda competed with the rest of the meal. Something simple like the sauce with mushrooms and spinach that Shutterbean made seems (in my mind) like it would work well, as far as not overpowering the stars of the meal. 
*This wasn't exactly a hit with my kids (I told them spaghetti and meatballs, I just didn't specify) so I think they were more disappointed than disgusted. They both ate most of their plates, but I know my little boy was jonesin' for some real carbs mama! lol. 


 This is a definite must make again. I loved it, and I could probably survive on the spaghetti squash alone. Yum-me! Try it... you'll like it! :-)

1 comment

Gina said...

Looks great! I used to eat spaghetti squash when I went low carb years ago. Just wish I could do it again.

© something Big is coming...
Maira Gall